Sunday, February 24, 2008

I've done it again ...

Last Saturday I went shopping because I needed a new pair of trousers. Not finding any I liked in the centre of town, I decided to visit a shopping centre on the outskirts of Milan which I'd never been to before. I didn't find any trousers, but I did find a garden centre ...


A while back, everyone was posting about seed catalogues and how they were choosing things for the year. I wish I was so organised. I'm an impulse buyer - I see things and can't resist. And then regret it.


Take some of the stuff I came home with this time. Pink lilies. Well, I've been thinking of getting some lilies for a while, but pink? I hate pink. Not as a colour - I wear pink all the time. But on the balcony it never seems to go with anything. Nasturtiums - great, I love them. But climbers, when all my trellises are already occupied? And this? Hemerocallis - looks great, but I know absolutely nothing about it. Are conditions right for it on the balcony or have I thrown my money away? And one bright orange Dahlia. Wherever am I going to put that? Then two packs of gladioli when I know my gladioli have failed miserably in the past. And all those seeds. I've got enough seeds to start a nursery already, and wasn't I going to cut down on flowers and grow vegetables this year instead? Not, of course, that I didn't buy vegetable seeds as well. Here's just a few of the collection so far ...



Moral of the story - yesterday I had to go back and buy yet more stuff in order to have some decent combinations, while I think some of the seeds are just going to have to wait till next year.

And next year I really, really won't buy anything new.