Monday, April 25, 2011

Kitchen window and chalk paint update


 These are the heavy iron acorn and oak leaf brackets
 I found at an antique shop in KC.
Over the weekend Mr. Maison Decor installed a 
window shelf using these brackets.
My number one fan and helper!
The window valance was removed to let as much light in as possible. 
So then, how to pretty up a window without a curtain?
 This display shelf was my solution.
I am loving how this looks and the display possibilities are endless.
You could do all white or all blue ceramics, greenery in cool containers....
These are the things I had at my fingertips and so up they went.
 
We cut a semi circle out of the board to allow the ceiling light to come through. 
A glass shelf would have worked too, but then I would have to dust that more often.
 As far as the painting is going, I had completed one coat 
of Annie Sloan chalk paint in Old White on all the cabinets.
 I did not remove the cabinets as they have invisible hinges 
and I was able to cover all the edges excluding the interior door. 
The inside of the cabinets are already white.
With a brand new paint brush, I started on the second coat. 
I stopped after two cabinets. 
The paint doesn't flow, it grabs. 
It is tedious painting, whereas the first coat was a breeze.
 I have decided to finish the cabinets with a traditional paint. 
My learning experience on the chalk paint is that this is the type of paint 
I would use for anything I want to distress or antique. 
I don't think it is so great when you want to have a more polished result. 
This shows the kitchen before in Maple overload....
The  BEFORE kitchen window with valance.
The AFTER kitchen window with shelf.
I will be finishing the cabinets in Valspar signature paint. 
The color will be a Benjamin Moore number that is just about dead on 
for the Old White:   #925 Ivory White.  
linking to:
Metamorphosis Monday
and
Amaze Me Monday
and
Show Off Your Cottage Monday